Below is the information about meals for the 2023 Sommerer Family Reunion. If you are looking for the rest of the information on the reunion, there is a start page and pages for general information, reservations, schedules, and meals.
NOTE 1: Help us figure out how much food to buy:
We ran out of meat seven years ago because we had many people show up to the Saturday night meal who did not tell anyone they would be there. It was really traumatic for us, and to keep that from happening again, we are asking for the number of people coming with you when you give Christina your reservation information, even if they are not staying the night. This should include any friends you or your children are bringing.
NOTE 2: What if my numbers change?
If you need to change your numbers at a later date, be sure you let Christina know before June 14th so the wonderful people who actually purchase the food for breakfast and the meat for supper are able to get enough for everyone. If you need to make changes after June 14th, you will need to contact each of these people: Jim or Sheri Sommerer, Courtney Knipp, and Whitni Upton.
NOTE 3: What to bring for lunch on Saturday?
There is a sign-up sheet at the bottom of this page for what to bring for lunch on Saturday. If you are a son or daughter of Adolf & Theresia Sommerer or a spouse of same, you are not supposed to sign up for anything on the list. You have been warned!
Breakfast (at The Pavilion)
Second cousins are in charge of breakfasts, with Whitni Upton and Courtney Knipp typically getting things organized, contact them to find out how you can help.
- Friday, June 30 on your own
- Saturday, July 1 at 8:00 (prep at 6:30) <—this time is the same as last year
- Sunday, July 2 at 8:00 (prep at 6:30)
Lunch (at The Pavilion)
Lunch is meant to be a quick break between swimming, visiting, and everything else. It is sandwiches, chips, and fruit, and you can sign up for what you will bring at the bottom of this page.
- Friday, June 30 on your own
- Saturday, July 1 at 12:00 pm (bring your food by 11:50)
- Sunday, July 2 on your own
Supper (at The Pavilion)
The second best part of the reunion is the potlucks. Remember to bring enough sides/desserts for everyone in your family who will be there for the potlucks. Plan on having your food out on the tables about 10 minutes before the meal is scheduled to begin.
- Friday, June 30 at 6:30pm potluck: bring main dish and sides
- NOTE: Becky says that Charlie’s Restaurant has permenantly closed, so if you normally went there on Friday, you needed to make other plans.
- Saturday, July 1 at 6:00pm potluck: meat provided, bring sides/desserts
- Sunday, July 2 on your own
Historical Note on Saturday Meals:
- 2017 (breakfast 8:00, lunch 12:00, dinner 6:00) People said that all we did was prepare to eat and eat. They wanted to try 2 group meals, and to eat the evening meal earlier to have more time for softball.
- 2018 (breakfast 9:30, dinner 4:00) We didn’t actually eat until 6:00 because the meat took a while to cook. The people next wanted to try lunch & dinner as our 2 group meals instead of breakfast & dinner.
- 2019 (lunch 11:00, dinner 5:00) People said that people took too long to come to the Pavilion because there wasn’t breakfast, and they decided to go back to three meals, but we’re still going to try to have the last one earlier.
- 2020 Covid, no reunion. We all sat at home thinking about Danny.
- 2021 (breakfast 8:00, lunch 11:00, dinner 5:00) I (Lloyd) was sick in bed in his cabin all day Saturday, and doesn’t really have any idea what happened. Apparently, Dinner was around 7:30. I’m not sure why.
- 2022 (breakfast 8:00, lunch 11:00, dinner 5:00) Lunch and Dinner were both about an hour later than planned. We are changing the timeline to these times for 2023.
Sign-up Sheet for Lunch on Saturday:
In the past Debbie & Becky assigned us stuff to bring for lunch on Saturday. Then we didn’t have lunch on Saturday as a group, now we’re doing a sign-up sheet. Pick out one or more items to bring for lunch on Saturday. If you’re bringing more people, or feel particularly generous, sign up for more items. You can claim an item by making a comment below or by sending Lloyd an email at Lloyd@LloydAndLauren.com. Questions about how much or what kind? Use your judgement. It’s a picnic lunch type of thing. If you know that the quantity listed here is too much or not enough, because you brought it last year, let Lloyd know.
Last year there was a lot of cheese for lunch. I think that’s because about 3 of us thought, “I won’t sign up for anything. I’ll just bring down whatever is left on the list.” That was a good thought, but I think we know now that it isn’t so good in practice. I’ll sign up for something before the last day this year. You should too.
NOTE: Becky and Debbie wanted me to reiterate that we do not want Aunt Mary Lynn, Aunt Lolly, Uncle Lloyd or Aunt Jane to bring anything on the list. They have done enough.
The MeatDebbie & Becky CondimentsDebbie & Becky Plates, Napkins and suchDebbie & Becky Sliced Cheese (4 packages)Chance & Emily Sommerer Sliced Cheese(Brenna & Shawn Batty) Snack Cheese(Scott & Som Baker) Grapes (about 4lbs)Julie Baker
- Grapes (Scott & Som Baker)
Watermelon/Cantaloupe/Strawberry mixLinda Lock
- Watermelon (better bring a knife to cut it with too)
Cookies (2 packages or batches)Danny & Denise Sommerer Cookies (2 packages or batches)Derek & Maxine Sommerer Chips – potato (3 bags)Lance & Layken Sommerer Chips – potato or otherwise (3 bags)Micky & Tammy Sommerer Chips – anything but potato (3 bags)Sam & Rachel Sommerer Juice boxes (a flat?)Nathan Folkemer Juice boxes (a flat?)Nathan Folkemer Bottles of waterNathan Folkemer Soda (a cooler?)Aaron Sommerer
- Those frogs Baby Yoda ate (4 fried, at least 2 different species)
Bread (4 loafs)Micky & Tammy Sommerer Bread (4 loafs)Sarah & Ryan Jones Bread (4 loafs)Denise & Chris Lawrenz Lettuce (2 heads, torn in sandwich type sizes)Denise & Chris Lawrenz Lettuce (2 heads, torn in sandwich type sizes)Derek & Maxine Sommerer Onions(Brenna & Shawn Batty) Tomatoes (a dozen? Sliced)Danny & Denise Sommerer Black Olives (4 cans sliced or 8 cans of sliced)Dave & Joni Sommerer Green Olives (2 large jars)Doug & Melissa Sommerer Pickle slices, (2 jars – different kinds?)Chance & Emily Sommerer Pickles (2 jars dill & 2 jars sweet)Derek & Maxine Sommerer Carrots (4lbs ready to eat) Christina & Paul Cauliflower (2 heads, cut up)Derek & Maxine Sommerer Oranges (2 bags)Micky & Tammy Sommerer Apples (2 bags)Mer & Scot Nitzel
- Cantaloupe and/or Honeydew melons (cut)
Jalapeños (1 jar)Lloyd & Lauren Sommerer Ranch Dressing (1 bottle)Christina & Paul
- Anything else for sandwiches (let Lloyd know)
- Anything else for snacks (let Lloyd know)
Fruit Snacks fo spoil the kids!Mer & Scot Nitzel
- Anything else you want to make –tuna salad, potato salad, salad salad (let Lloyd know)
Feel free to post any question or comments below. If you are looking for the rest of the information on the reunion, there is a start page and pages for general information, reservations, schedules, and meals.